TELL THE NDP GOVERNMENT THAT YOU WON’T and DON’T SUPPORT THEIR ATTEMPT TO FRACTURE, FINANCIALLY CRIPPLE AND FINALLY MERGE NSCAD!
WE WILL NOT BE FRAGMENTED!
Write an Open Letter of support and sen it to the (NS) NDP – OR ) – Add your name to this letter template:
Dear Premier Dexter,
A vibrant, strong, and independent NSCAD is a vital part of Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, and internationally. As this province struggles with economic and social challenges, financial investment in NSCAD is of strategic importance to Nova Scotia’s future economic prosperity and social well-being. The arts and education play an increasingly important part in the emerging global economy. I urge you to choose the option that will ensure Nova Scotia’s continued place as an important player in this economy by supporting NSCAD.
Your party needs to make a real, demonstrable commitment to affordable education, the arts, and an independent NSCAD. The funding weight of Fine Arts programs needs to reflect the real cost of a quality, hands-on Fine Arts education. I ask that you acknowledge the provincial government’s part in accumulating debt on the Port campus, and commit to paying off this debt, rather than unloading debt onto students. I ask that you recognize the degree to which NSCAD has furthered provincial, private, metro, and Port Authority interests by creating and maintaining vibrant and populated areas in the downtown, and find a way to quantify and reward NSCAD for this vital service.
Your government claims to understand the importance of NSCAD. Your government also claims to be committed to making post-secondary education affordable, yet your funding choices suggest otherwise. By failing to adequately fund this public institution, your government is threatening NSCAD’s autonomy and independence, and its viability as a world-renowned fine arts, craft, and design institution. You are also, in effect, threatening the future of Nova Scotia. I urge you to act now to preserve NSCAD’s future, and Nova Scotia’s role and reputation as a player in the arts on the global stage. If you do not, I will not be voting for the NDP in the next election.
SEND YOUR LOVE OF NSCAD TO:
Premier of Nova Scotia, Darrell Dexter – email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Toll-free Message Line: 1-800-267-1993
E-mail Address: email@example.com
Office of the Premier
PO Box 726
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Minister of Labour and Advanced Education, Marilyn More – firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
Department of Labour and Advanced Education
6th Floor, 5151 Terminal Road
P.O. Box 697
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Phone: (902) 424-6647
Fax: (902) 424-0575
OR write your own Open Letter of Support! When writing your letter, consider touching on the following points:
* Introduce yourself, and explain what NSCAD means to you.
* Tell them why the arts are important, and why NSCAD is important to the arts community in Halifax, in Nova Scotia, and beyond.
* Remind them that, prior to being elected, they had committed to addressing too-high tuition fees, and to putting a cap on personal student debt.
* Remind them that they claim to understand the value of creative arts to our economy, and have committed to helping to build a sustainable future for NSCAD.
* Remind them that they played a huge part in creating our current debt by pressuring us to go ahead with building the Port campus before adequate funding was secured.
* Explain that a merger with another institution would be bad for NSCAD, because it would mean a loss of programs, teaching staff, galleries, and library resources.
* Explain why a fine arts education costs more to deliver than many other programs:
* It’s hands-on.
* It involves a mix of craft, technique, advanced intellectual work, & close collaboration.
* It may cost more to deliver, but it also delivers more than many other programs, (even before students have graduated) by making the arts, craft and design a vibrant part of daily life in NS, and by maintaining public arts spaces and affordable spin-off programs—community-based and extension arts education.
* It attracts people from all over the world.
* Budgeting is about priorities – urge the government to see that NSCAD is a key player in future economic and population growth in the province.
* Urge them to cover NSCAD’s current debt, so that we can move forward in a sustainable future without accumulating more interest that we can’t pay off.
* Urge them to fund NSCAD adequately in the future.
TELL THEM WHY YOU LOVE NSCAD – AND WHAT IS IMPORTANT ABOUT an INDEPENDENT NSCAD! WE WILL NOT BE IGNORED!